Three fun facts about Christmas calories:
- Health nutritionists believe that many of us consume over 4,000 calories on Christmas Day alone…
- A single mince pie contains around 245 calories, which would take 40 minutes to walk off…
- To walk off the 105 calories in a glass of sparkling wine, yes, just a small one, you’d need to march for 17 minutes…
If you feel like you perhaps over-did it on the calories this Christmas, don’t fret, you are not alone.
So what’s the plan?
Firstly, don’t dwell on the calories, counting isn’t enough and stresses many of us out (argh, maths!). To truly be a healthy individual, exercise is essential. It doesn’t matter if you can’t afford the extortionate gym membership, find easy (and free!) ways to get yourself moving:
- Waiting for the kettle to boil? Why not walk up and down the stairs 20 times?
- Need to buy milk or bread? Leave the car keys on the table and walk to the nearest shop.
- Rocking the baby back to sleep for the 37th time this evening? Do some gentle squats or lunges! (Gentle being the operative word here – DO NOT DROP THE BABY!)
Then when you feel like you might be ready to commit some more time…
- Go for a run. It’s free, it’s easy, and it only takes as long as you want it to, plus, you don’t really need to spend hundreds kitting yourself out in serious-looking lycra, wear what you have.
- Try some yoga – you don’t even have to go outside for this one, and you’ll feel wonderfully calm and composed afterwards – a great way to start the day!
- Have a go at one of the thousands of free workout sessions on Youtube – no-one’s watching!!
Whatever you do, make sure you have fun, don’t beat yourself up, and stay motivated. You’ve got this!
17 January, 2020.